Friday, October 16, 2009

Smoking bans save lives

There's more data in to confirm that banning smoking saves lives. Banning smoking in public places - hotels, restaurants, bars - has resulted in fewer deaths from heart attacks.

I was a little surprised that the effect would happen so quickly, and be so measurable. But it's there. Secondhand smoke really is that bad for you. Penn Gillette, you were wrong.

I think the proposed ban on smoking in outdoor parks in Hillsboro may be a little much. Then again, we've managed to pollute the Earth pretty badly - it could be that even outdoor secondhand smoke can be harmful.

But it's clear that smoke-filled rooms were hazardous to everyone's health. I'm glad we've made some progress.

3 comments:

Sam said...

> Secondhand smoke really is that bad for you.

After perusing the article, I would agree with this, only if you are in high risk of having a heart attack. If you are close to dying, second hand smoke may finish you off.

And that is if you don't side with "Dr. Michael Siegel" mentioned in the article.

Anders said...

You make a good point that for most people, secondhand smoke isn't the difference between life and death.

But even if it doesn't kill you, it still is bad for you. When you ban smoking in public places, the rate of heart attacks goes down 17 percent in the first year. Attacks, not deaths.

Not all of us were going to have heart attacks last year, but fewer did because we banned smoking. I think it's worth it.

Sam said...

17%? I thought in the article they said that amount is so small the benefit wasn't quantifiable? I'd double check the article for that number, but bugmenot seems to be down.

I could see how over the long term, very smoky bars could be considered a hazardous work place and have a health affect. But I am not really worried about how going to dives (back when smoking inside was legal) affects my health. I do find the smoke smell in my clothes and hair the annoying part.