Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Fake engine noise for hybrid cars?

It's nice that hybrid car designers aren't limiting themselves to fake engine noise. It would be sad if they made electric cars make the sound of a gasoline car just so people won't get surprised.

But I have some sympathy for the people who say the drivers shouldn't hit people. It's not the pedestrian's responsibility to not get hit. If you're driving an electric car, don't run folks over.

Yet, while I'm biking, I want to hear people coming and passing me and not be surprised.

If only honking didn't mean anger here. In China, it just means "Hi, I'm here. Don't hit me!" When I bike and pass another cyclist who's slower, I ring my bell or call out to let them know I'm coming. Hybrid car drivers could use a honk or chime to tell people that they're present. Heck, it'd be great to be able to make a variety of sounds instead of just the honk - to be able to communicate more complexly about your intentions.

So, car makers, give us lots of noise options. Give me the ability to "honk" in ways that tell people the difference between "pardon me" and "go to hell". And let me have ringtones for my car. I want my car horn to be anything I want it to be. Heck, you can charge us $2 per sound, and create a whole new revenue stream.

1 comment:

Sam said...

I think with the invention of GPS and hand-held devices, we should be able to "technology" our way out of situation.

I think that Americans can honk to simply signal that they are there and to be careful. But there is a special technique to it... two staccato taps. Often people don't know this secret language, and will give an accented quarter or half note... communicating "get the hell out of the way" instead of "I am here, be careful".

If only everyone knew this language.