Friday, October 2, 2009

Politics is getting REALLY ugly

I knew that politics was in a rough phase. I knew that campaign funding had led to corruption. I knew that gerrymandering and the destruction of the middle class was leading to an erosion of moderates in politics, creating extremists who are unwilling to compromise and propose no solutions, only criticism.

But the attacks on the President have gone way out of bounds. The ridiculous birther bullshit and other attacks on the legitimacy of his presidency have given rise to presidential death threats. And these are way more serious than nonexistent death panels.

When people use racism to attack the president, and compare him to Hitler, it cultivates the extreme crazies out there and puts his life in danger. I didn't know that, at least not consciously. But now I do. And it makes me sad and angry.

No comments: