Friday, October 30, 2009

Bob Herbert is right

You know, I've been feeling like the world is out of control, and bankers aren't being held accountable, and that it's time to seriously upset the power structure and neuter the corporations that somehow are getting our elected officials to ignore the common good and legislate only to the bottom line.

Then Bob Herbert wrote a column about how things won't fix themselves and it's up to each of us to stand up and speak out and actually get things to change.

That's what I've been feeling. I just didn't know it.

I bet this apathy isn't original. I bet people were just as hopeless about the possibility of change in the 1890s or 1920s. But hopefully we'll snap out of it, just as we did in the 1960s. And 1770s. It's time for another greatest generation to rebuild all the things that Reagan and the Bushes tore down. I hope video games and cable TV aren't enough to pacify us into not fixing what's broken.

No comments: