Saturday, January 17, 2009

Longitude

I really enjoyed this book. I couldn't put it down. It is really short, but I found the story of a lone carpenter suddenly solving the largest technological problem of his age totally fascinating.

The story of a man who made a clock doesn't sound interesting on its face, but it's a classic (and cliched) tale of one man against the Establishment, with various astronomers who refuse to accept the success of the carpenter. I was drawn into the story of the conflict, and amazed at the brilliant innovation of the inventor who developed clocks that didn't need lubrication, don't wear out, and keep excellent time even by today's standards.

I suppose if I appeared 200 years ago and offered a Casio to them as the solution to their navigation problems, they would scoff at this magical claim. But it's still amazing to read about astronomers who are so committed to their plan for solving the problem that they're unwilling to accept that a clock has beaten them.

No comments: