Friday, January 2, 2009

The collapse of conservatism

Paul Krugman writes that the failures of Bush are really larger failures for the strategy of the conservative movement. He argues that the destructive nature of the current Republican ideology has failed society in such a major way that it has opened the door for Obama and successors to truly build a new public system.

I want to believe that this is true, that the public has lost its patience for the lies and incompetence of the people who brought us the last 8 years. But I fear that Reagan never lost his popularity, even though he believed the same garbage about government being bad and less government being the solution to all our problems. I do think that for now, Obama should push hard. We should spend the next several years working hard to fix our country and rebuild all the destroyed things that Bush broke. But I don't think conservatives are as dead as Krugman thinks. I hope I'm wrong and he's right.

No comments: