Monday, January 12, 2009

The Canon

I've been reading a lot of books for a project at work, so I'm going to write some book reviews, because I have more opinions than my friends and family have time for.

The Canon is an interesting book that sums up Everything You Should Know about science. The author, Natalie Angier, interviewed dozens of scientists and asked what people should know.
I found most of the chapters very interesting, and the writing very exciting, although it's chock full of obscure allusions and references, several of which I had to look up. It's quite Hegelian, which is an insult. And I found the chapters about topics I know a lot about to be boring, but topics I didn't know much of to be quite engaging. Either physics is a less interesting story, because protons lack personality, or this book is best for English majors who will get all the literary allusion but not be burdened by prior knowledge.
If anything, everyone should read the first two chapters about the scientific method and statistics, because there's so much confusion on those two areas.

No comments: