Saturday, January 23, 2010

Stupid Democrats

Another thing that pisses me off is that the Democrats are wusses. I'd been disappointed that a massive Democratic majority in both houses of Congress, plus the White House, wasn't resulting in as sweeping change as I might have wished. (To be fair, progress is being made in such areas as not torturing, keeping our food poop-free, and ending the Iraq war.) But Jon Stewart said something (7 minutes into the video below) that crystallized in my mind, and now I can't let it go.

The Democratic majority now is larger than Bush ever had. And he did whatever the hell he wanted.

Sure, the filibuster means you need 60 votes to pass stuff. But Bush didn't have 60 Republican seats in the Senate. Why weren't democrats filibustering his crap?!?

I still think that the filibuster should be reformed. Maybe lower the votes required to override to 55. Definitely require senators to ACTUALLY filibuster instead of just signing a piece of paper. Make filibusters visible, inconvenient protests instead of opaque, easy paperwork.

But most of all, LEAD already. LBJ and FDR were not nice men. And that's why they got stuff done.

No comments: