Monday, January 11, 2010

Filibuster, I hardly know her!

Am I hypocritical for wanting to end the filibuster now, but thinking it was good when the Republicans controlled the Senate?

One columnist makes the argument that current filibuster rules clearly go against the intention of the Founders. I think going back to actual filibusters instead of ghost ones is a good idea. If senators had to speak for hours on end to block a vote instead of just file a piece of paper, they would only block important legislation and not every bill.

I think it's ok for Republicans to be allowed to filibuster the health care bill. I'm more concerned with the fact that since they lost the Senate, the number of filibusters has increased from 27% to 70%. Two of every three votes is filibustered by Republicans. That's pretty much every meaningful vote. One in three votes is barely room for National Scleroderma Awareness Week and all the other procedural stuff that gets through anonymously.

I hesitate to favor lowering the number of votes it takes to override a filibuster, because I know Republicans will have a majority again, someday. But it's way too easy to filibuster now. It should take some personal effort to block a bill.

No comments: