Thursday, January 14, 2010

Late Night battles

Why do I care more about late night TV show hosting choices than others? Is it because I'm a comedy aficionado? Or is there something intrinsically fascinating about how NBC spurned David Letterman and is now treating Conan O'Brien badly?

I haven't watched these shows since college. I need my sleep too badly now. But it seems like the network regularly passes over the charming and funny person for the bland, boring and safe. Why do they keep coming back to Jay Leno?

I grudgingly must admit that Jay Leno gets higher ratings. America prefers Leno's bland crap, apparently. Except his new show is a bomb. If Jay Leno gets the Tonight Show back, it'll be interesting to see if he gets its ratings back, too. Or if we've finally woken up to how much he sucks.

Of course, in this economic time of massive unemployment, Simon Dumenco of Advertising Age, has a point that Conan has “suddenly become an unlikely (Harvard-educated, multimillionaire) Everyman: the freckled face of American job insecurity, a well-meaning hard worker who spent years paying his dues but has now been declared redundant by the halfwit overlords driving his company into the ground.”

Yet is anyone surprised by NBC's behavior, given how it treated David Letterman? I guess maybe we're not surprised, but we're still mad.

No comments: