Friday, February 15, 2008

We're not overmedicated?

We all know that Americans are taking too many drugs. I personally have taught children who seemed totally fine when they failed to take their ADD medication. (I have also seen children for whom the difference between drugs and no drugs was night and day.)

A column I read today points to various studies and data that say that most people with mental heath problems don't get any treatment. Yes, the pharmaceutical corporations are making a lot of money. Yes, there are a lot of advertisements for these pills, and they're annoying. But are there truly a lot of people on medication who shouldn't be?

I think both stories are true. I think there are people on drugs who benefit. I think there are people, especially children, who could manage just fine without drugs. But now I wonder where the spectrum falls. Are the overmedicated people the minority? Are most people on drugs benefiting? Are most mentally ill people untreated?

1 comment:

Erin said...

I am totally in agreement.

I have some kids who are absolute zombies on whatever mess their parents have okay'd them to pop on a daily/hourly basis. I have other kids who could use some sort of balance, whether chemically or naturally finessed.

I recently just stopped taking some allergy stuff and decided to deal. Amazingly, my problems are way less and I feel better. Who knows.