Friday, February 8, 2008

Freedom of Speech means free to be dumb

A court ruled recently that Free Speech includes people anonymously flaming on internet message boards. So if you comment on this post, you're exercising your constitutional rights. Even if you're an ass about it.

This reminds me that I saw recently that Fundamentalist Muslims are trying again to censor images of Muhammed, this time in Wikipedia. I know that the very strong enforcement of the 2nd Commandment is a recent development in Islam, and there are lots of examples of images of Muhammed from early years. And I know that many Muslims today are deeply offended by any depiction of their prophet.

However, blasphemy is protected speech. That's the whole idea - you are allowed to offend others. We had better be fair about it, and protect people who desecrate Jesus, and people who offend my beliefs. But you're allowed to say anything. And I'm allowed to say you're wrong.
I think a cartoon showing Muhammed as half-man/half-pig is disgusting and hateful. But I think it should be allowed.

No comments: