Sunday, September 23, 2007

Switchgrass v. Corn

I have been persuaded in the past by the argument that corn-based fuels are not what we should power our cars with, because it takes lots of petroleum to power tractors and to create fertilizer and pesticides.

I've heard it argued that switchgrass and other plants could make ethanol much more efficiently than corn. And then I read about processing corn stalks and husks into ethanol. And I wonder if the equation shifts, when you turn garbage into fuel, versus turning food into fuel.

I don't really know that much science on the topic, just theory, which contradicts yesterday's post. But I know that fuel from something that grows back is better than non-renewable drilling. And that solar, wind, and tidal are also good.

Why can't we invent the Mr. Fusion? Sigh.

No comments: