Saturday, September 22, 2007

Gun Control: Facts, not ideology

Many people in Oregon have recently articulated strong beliefs on why a teacher should or shouldn't be allowed to have a gun at work. While most of these theories are reasonable, I prefer to look at facts.

In Brazil, where gun control legislation was recently passed, violent crime went down. Other nations with gun control laws have fewer murders than countries like ours where guns are plentiful.

Whatever ideological excuse we need, our country would be safer if we had fewer guns. I don't really care if John McCain says the 2nd Amendment "is about freedom".

Which could make me a hypocrite, because I do care about my freedom of speech, and my freedom of religion, and my right to have a private email or phone call. And I don't support taking those freedoms away for safety.

But I fail to see the value of the freedom to bear arms. Maybe I'd feel differently in China, or under some other oppresive regime. But I don't think President Bush restrains himself because some citizens are armed.

No comments: