Monday, April 9, 2007

Violent video game parenting

So, even though violent video games seem to only exacerbate pre-existing tendencies rather than cause antisocial behaviour, it's still a good idea for kids to consume media that's developmentally appropriate. Good parents make sure kids know what trees are. And only let them watch limited amounts of TV. Which is really hard work, and I'm a single man declaring how it should be, because my parents had the guts to limit my TV watching as a child.

Nowadays, though, people my age are having kids, and starting to negotiate the boundaries of video games for their kids. And now we have parents who know video gaming first hand. I have hope that we'll negotiate that boundary better with knowledge, and I'm certain that our kids will come up with a new technology to make us grumble from our anti-gravity fusion powered rocking chairs. My personal theory? Wings. Genetically engineered wings. Also, green skin, blue skin, and implantable third eyeballs. Those would freak me out. And my grandkids will explain that it's normal. In a retirement home full of drooping tattoos and piercing holes. Not that I'll be tattooed or pierced, ever.

1 comment:

Erin said...

My parents didn't limit our TV. Instead, they encourraged us to play outside and gave us tools and such with which to play. Consequently, we aren't that interested in television as a collective. (The Simpsons are an exception.)

Movies are another enchilada, but you get my point, yes?