Monday, January 29, 2007

Lessons from Improv Class

So, I'm taking my first theatre class ever.

It's sort of like theatre church for me. I haven't learned anything new, but it's been pleasant to have a space that honors the ideas and spirit of theatre. A place to go each week, where it's ok to fail, and no one judges you.

Which is interesting, because I did make snap observations about personalities, even as I didn't give those observations moral character. I ((judged)) them without |judging| them. (Only Daniel will understand those symbols.)

I also have learned a few new games, and played several old games with new people. And even playing old games in new combinations lets you observe new things. The most striking new game is known to me only as Diagonal, although it has a more obscene name I'm not yet privy to.

In the game, you're told a gesture. There's a set of options: up, down, in, out, diagonal. You then repeat the gesture: you act it and say it. THEN, you say a different gesture, while acting a DIFFERENT gesture. While looking at another person, to pass it on. Tell the truth, then lie. (There's no one syllable word for truth telling. Speak? Talk? Anyway...) It really hurts the brain. It's hard to get a rhythm of truth/lie. It's really easy to screw up. And even the most experienced improv actors fail, and have to let go. Which is a good spirit to get into for improv.

Best. Game. Ever.

No comments: