Friday, January 5, 2007

Good morning, Mr. President

So, in addition to reading our emails and listening to our phone calls, the President has declared he has the right to read our mail.

First, he did this in an unconstitutional signing statement. For a man who has vetoed exactly one law, it's enormously frustrating that he acts as though he can edit laws passed by the legislative branch of government.

More importantly, who do I see about the loss of my freedom? I feel like I have a reasonable expectation of privacy when I write a letter, make a phone call, send an email, or talk to my girlfriend. But that makes me an enemy combatant, without a right to a trial. Or the freedom to not be tortured.

I should demand my Democratic senators and congressman keep this nation democratic. I'd write a letter to the President, but since he's reading my email, apparently I don't need to.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I am so glad you marked this. I, too, am disgusted and bothered.