Monday, March 9, 2009

Emulators

I wouldn't download an emulator for a legacy game system. Because that would be a violation of copyright law. Nor would I download ROM files of various classic games, because again that would also be a violation of copyright law. And I wouldn't do that. Nor would I confess to breaking such a law in print, in a forum like this one.

Besides, if I had downloaded copies of games from my youth that I enjoyed greatly at the time, then I'd be spending all my time playing them instead of doing other things I need to get done. Escaping from the current stresses of economic uncertainty into low-resolution 8-bit fantasy worlds. Which I'm not, despite the amazing fact that games that used to cost me $50 are only 85 KB in size, small enough not only to download to my computer, but small enough to play online as web games.

I feel old. And innocent of breaking any laws.

No comments: