Saturday, March 29, 2008

Need more privacy

While this election is hopefully a chance for change, some aren't holding their breath. That columnist makes the point that Bill Clinton wasn't the best example of transparent government, holding secret meetings sometimes. W. Bush has been vastly worse, breaking the law and working as hard as possible to keep every action of government secret.

Which reminds me of articles I saw a while back about the imbalance of power between individual secrecy and government secrecy. Some argue that if there's no secrets, then we'll get better government. But that's crap. Because it's easier for the government to get my secrets than for me to get the government's secrets. I can't issue search warrants or throw government officials in jail.

Not to mention that if you create a website to rate the performance of police officers, it gets mysteriously shut down. Now, I can see how home addresses and photos of cops could be a bad thing. But government should at least be open and honest about shutting down websites that endanger public safety.

No comments: