Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Democratic Presidential Candidates

I just watched this clip from yesterday's Democratic debate.

The thing that strikes me is that Senator Clinton THINKS like a senator. It's a kind of leadership, and I agree with her on pretty much every issue. But her way of outlining ideas is the same analysis that you hear senators give every day as they rant for hours about legislative minutia.

This has nothing to do with gender. John Kerry was the exact same way. Joe Biden, Chris Dodd, senators often do poorly in presidential contests because they think as senators. As someone who's one of 100 who get to vote on a bill.

Of course, all the remaining Democratic candidates are senators. But Obama and Edwards don't think like senators. I feel like a vote for them isn't a vote against the awful other guy. Still, a governor is someone with much more practice analysing situations from an executive perspective. Huckabee or (ew) Romney might have a rhetorical advantage over Clinton. I'd rather McCain got the nomination, because I respect him, and then we'd be guaranteed a former senator for President.

1 comment:

Erin said...

McCain's a decent, well-liked person too. Not that it's likely that I'll vote for him, but like you, I respect the heck out of the guy.

...and it's only January!

P.S. Rag on Sam to register to vote. He's not listening to me!