Saturday, July 21, 2007

Did I Violate International Law?

So, the Canadian Red Cross is fighting to prevent video games from using a red cross as a symbol. The historic rules on using the red cross emblem have a pretty good reason behind them: they want only legitimate medical personnel to have red crosses, so the military won't shoot at them. If copycats put red crosses on everything, then it's not a symbol of neutrality.

But how is it a problem if a medic or first aid kit in a video game has a red cross on it? The symbol has become synonymous with medical care. And in low resolution graphics, it's a lot easier to draw a red cross than a caduceus.

This isn't just a philosophical question for me. I've made crude computer games with Red Cross labeled medicine in them. And shown it to hundreds of students. I think I called it Anders' Game, too. I don't think I'm a criminal. But if I ever start a computer repair business, and call it PC First Aid, I won't put a Red Cross in my logo. Unless I want to piss the Swiss off.

For added irony, I'm going to the Red Cross today to give blood. :)

No comments: