Saturday, February 17, 2007

Crazy lady with death wish

The crazy lady is back.

On my bike ride home, I used to run into this old woman walking in the bike lane across a viaduct. Well, not literally run into, but almost. There's a sidewalk on the other side of the street, but she never uses it. And now, a week ago, I saw her again, walking on the wrong side of the street.

I hate that lady.

She is a danger to herself and to others. I have to stop suddenly or swerve into traffic to not hit her. And THERE'S A SIDEWALK 15 FEET AWAY!
I stopped once and tried to ask her to use the sidewalk, seeing as how it's safer. She acted like I was a telephone pole, ignoring me and walking around me. The look in her eyes was tragic. Unfocused, wan, and distant. As though she didn't understand English, or human beings.

I hope she dies peacefully in her sleep. Soon. Because I don't want a bus driver saddled with the guilt of hitting her.

No comments: