Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Santorum wants to ban birth control

I'm not just talking about the nuanced religious-liberty argument he's making about how Catholic hospitals should be allowed to refuse to offer family planning services.  Rick Santorum "favors allowing states to decide whether to ban birth control. "


It's only the most outrageous part of the Republican claims that national healthcare regulations are religious discrimination.


I respect people who are opposed to abortion.  I support doctors declining to perform abortions.  But a pill that prevents ovulation isn't an abortion.  And if I have to pay taxes that support wars in Iraq and other places I don't support, resulting in hundreds of thousands of murders, religious conservatives should have to have some of their taxes pay for free birth control pills for women who can't afford it.  Which doesn't cause a single abortion, and actually probably prevents thousands.

No comments: