Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Facts and intelligence

I have long respected and admired Leonard Pitts. His editorial columns are always intelligent, and often reveal insights into topics that I never would have thought of otherwise.

Two of his recent columns point out something I've known for a while: anti-intellectualism in America has exploded of late. To the point where both sides in the political battlefield quote back and forth the same Moynihan remark: "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

I'm sure there's some facts I'm blind to; some inconvenient truth that I conveniently forget to prop up my worldview. But it seems to me that the Republicans today are masters of denial. And I fear for the future: I see no way for us to walk back from this place. How can we change from this state of affairs to one of civility and reason? Perhaps if all televisions were destroyed, it might be possible. But even if we create publicly financed campaigns, would it be able to stop the madness?

I know Canada and Europe aren't perfect. I know they have problems, and their political systems have flaws. But I can't help thinking that other places in the world have a little more respect for intelligence than we do. I wish the Republicans were being intelligent enough to defeat Obama in an argument occasionally. Goldwater, Buckley... I wish there were a political opponent who I disagreed with, that I could actually RESPECT.

The West Wing was a TV show about political wish fulfillment, and this was part of its story. Not only did it show a Democrat who argued for progressive politics forcefully and persuasively (and won), but in the final season it had a Republican presidential candidate who was ethical and reasonable - and conservative.

Maybe the problem is TV making me think it can be different, rather than fueling the flames of hatred and hysteria. Or maybe it's both.

No comments: