Thursday, December 31, 2009

This revolution will be televised

While singing christmas carols this winter, I saw something I've not seen before: audiences where half the people are recording my performance.

Privacy means something different in the 21st century, where you can Google someone in the blink of an eye and instantly find what used to take days to find. And not only can you find out someone's address and phone number, you can see pictures and even videos of them.

Even if they aren't posting the pictures themselves. I was performing in a public place. But it wouldn't be hard to take some pictures of me in private places, including very private places. As digital gets cheaper, it's revolutionizing how we live.

And we can watch each other all the time if we want.

2 comments:

Erin said...

It's creepy, and it's a bit worrisome as a public employee.

Anders said...

Yeah, it would be stressful to never have a private moment. I write with some wariness on this blog, but it could get much worse.

Alan Alda says to never take fame without the money. Unfortunately, we're getting to the point where we're all famous.