Monday, May 25, 2009

Infomercial Tactics

Given all the many books about the psychology of selling that have hit in the last year, it's not too surprising to hear a brief story about the tactics used in infomercials. It is, however, still awesome.

It feels like it shouldn't be surprising. We know that if a price is preceded by a higher one it sounds lower than it is. We know that splitting it up into several payments makes it sound cheaper. We know that while $19.99 is almost the same as $20, it feels significantly less. And yet when I hear all the different methods catalogued at once, I feel like I'm under siege by an army with far superior weaponry and detailed intelligence about my armor's weaknesses.

I realize the 1st Amendment implications, but I do think banning advertising targeting children could be a good thing. It would destroy an entire industrial complex, but I dare anyone to show me a product sold by the Disney-Industrial complex that actually adds value to society.

No comments: