Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Where Wizards Stay Up Late

I was pleasantly surprised at how interesting this book was. I thought that a good book should exist about the creation of the internet, but I also secretly feared that it would be too nerdy and not human enough.

I am biased, being a huge computer nerd, but I found it totally engaging. The book does contain a large number of technical details, but explains them all with very accessible metaphors. And the story of the various people and personalities is very interesting. It seems like the internet could very easily have never been built - that there were lots of reasons for it to not happen, lots of competing interests that had to compromise, but that they just managed to pull it all off. All in all, I think it's a pretty good book.

No comments: