Monday, December 11, 2006

Daybreak: clever = ambiguous

I really enjoyed this week's episode, because it is very ambiguous. Two characters are shown as possibly being aware of Hopper's time travel. But maybe it's just a coincidence. Or they're crazy. Other information is hinted at, slowly being leaked out into our awareness, but not spelled out for us. We know less than the characters, and have to pay attention. I like TV respecting me like that. I look forward to the story continuing to unfold.

It's really quite amazing television, using violence to remind us in an extreme way, that what we do every day matters. Our choices have consequences. Throw our choices into a Greek tragedy, and the stakes of those choices are higher. But our actions can play out in many different ways.

It's really quite amazing how much information they pack into 44 minutes. 3 "days" worth of story.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I had no idea you watched so much television, your like a walking TV guide for good shows!

Anders said...

I watch a large amount of TV. Although, apparently, I'm below average. Which is scary, given how much I do watch. (I average 2 hours a day, half the average!)

But I'm very picky, and only watch good stuff. I could stop any time I wanted. I don't have a problem.